Lately there has been a lot of confusion over the border crossings between the UAE and Oman. Currently I don't have full details on all crossings, but I'm sharing what I do know here, if you have any relevant first hand experiences, please do feel free to share them here so others can see.
1. Here is a list of all border crossings between mainland Oman and the UAE that I'm aware of:
a) GCC only at Buraimi - Al Ain (Hili) - Map here
b) "Truck route" (and Expats allowed) at Buraimi - Al Ain (Khatm Al Shakla) - Map here
c) "Dubai route" (and Expats allowed) at Al Wajajah - Hatta (Wajajah) - Map here
d) "Dubai route - Checkpoint" (and Expats allowed) at Hatta - Madam/ Hatta (Wajajah) - Map here - it's the bit of Oman you go back into after leaving Oman for the UAE at Al Wajajah.
e) "Fujairah route" - the way to Musandam - Khatmat Malahah - Kalba - Map here
f) Ras al Khaimah at Aswad - al Nasla - Map here - I've never taken this route, and I've no idea if it's open and you can cross here or not.
2. Visa on arrival by air is being granted how it was before. Passport holders that always did get visa on arrival presumably always will (even after the e-visa system is reimplemented) be able to get visa on arrival.
3. Yesterday, Wednesday, the route b listed above, at Buraimi (truck route) was OPEN to expats driving across the border. There were a lot of very thorough checks taking place and the border was very slow to cross through, 2 hours to do so at midday.
4. I understand that route d listed above, the dubai route checkpoint via Madam is currently CLOSED to expats driving across the border (it might in fact be closed entirely). I don't know if it is still closed and I don't know if it's closed to all expats (eg holders of valid visa on arrival countries - eg UK/USA etc).
5. I have no idea about the Khatmat Malahah route to Fujairah / Musandam, I've heard it's still open but only open for trucks, but no idea if that is accurate.
6. The route f noted above, between Aswad and Al Nasla, certainly looks like a nice drive through the mountains, but then again - no idea if it's open, I never even knew it existed until very recently.
7. The current best way to get to the UAE by road is to cross into the UAE at the usual Wajajah border post (the first border to the UAE on the Dubai road) and then turning RIGHT (North) before Hatta at the roundabout and to head off to Sharjah - map here. This route then cuts out the need to go back into Oman, and then back into the UAE (and thus eliminates the need to go through the checkpoints). It's also a nicer drive, seeing more mountains than sand that you would see by going through Madam.
So there you have it! If you are driving up next week for the long weekend (and the 7s) - or this weekend for the F1... then aim to go via route c (wajajah) and then drive up through Sharjah - or just fly! If you have any updates to the situation on the borders, please feel free to share them here!