A constant main-stay that I find in bar-room conversation is the ever-popular question: "When is the Sheraton ever going to open again?".
And the answer is, November 18th. Albeit a partial opening, but I have confirmed reports that short of a total disaster, the hotel will have a partial opening. The reasons for the delays in the hotel renovation are enough to write a few text books on how not to carry-out a renovation project. The original project was supposed to be just a fresh coat of paint and some new furniture. The final project will entail:
- Newly refurbished suites (they've fixed that smell problem!). A nice extra is each suite will have a flat panel TV (par for the course these days) and a PS3 to play with.
- A new ballroom (to seat a few hundred people)
- New Business Centre
- New restaurants and bars (the night club is no more)
- A new Spa and Gym (which has replaced the night club)
- New external swimming pool, and a new pool bar
- New tennis courts
There is a rumour I've heard a few times about the Chinese takeaway, I mean, night club that used to be in the basement of the Sheraton. When it was indicated that there was to be no more nightclub at the hotel, the "pimp" for all these hard working Chinese horizontal refreshment providers was, shall we say, put out? His primary place of business was being closed. So the rumour goes, this unhappy turn of events so irked said "pimp" that his considerable Wasta muscles were flexed and the owners of The Sheraton building here in Oman were required to open a new bar (place of business) for the ladies of the night somewhere in Muscat.
Is it true? Probably not. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were elements of truth to it....
Anyway, The Sheraton will be opening in November, for HM's birthday. Even if the hotel isnt fully finshed.